Thuso Mbedu can be described as an “it” girl on the South African acting scene.
She landed her first acting gig on Mzansi’s Magic’s “isiBaya” in 2014, and has been making waves ever since. Mbedu has had three leading roles, three supporting roles and has been nominated for three awards, including an Emmy Award nomination.
Mbedu was also nominated for an Emmy Award in 2017 for her role as Winnie in the telenovela “Is’Thunzi”. She won her first award for Best Actress TV Drama at the 12th South African Film and Television Awards this year.
Here six things you may not know about the 27-year-old actress:
- Her mother died from a brain tumour when she was four-years-old and she was raised by her grandmother in Pelham, Pietermaritzburg.
- Despite growing up in poverty, she graduated from University of Witwatersrand Cum Laude with an Honours and majoring in Physical Theatre and Performing Arts Management.
- While filming a rape scene for “Is’Thunzi”, she suffered from a panic attack.
- She was born Thuso Nokwanda Mbedu on 8 July in 1991.
- During an interview with DJ Sbu on Massiv Metro in 2017, Mbedu revealed that she used all the money she earned from “Saints & Sinners” to relocate her sister and her niece from KZN to Joburg. They recently bought a house together.
- She’d love to work with Viola Davis and Taraji P Henson.
Main image credit: IOL
Entertainment | Celebrity Gossip and News