After going back and forth, DJ fresh and Euphonik have both been cleared of rape charges levelled against them by a woman who accused the pair of drugging and taking advantage of her at a party. The pair were subsequently dismissed by employers Primedia Broadcasting, who insisted at the time of their sacking that the motivation behind the decision was not related to the case.
In a joint statement released on Monday 15 January, DJ Fresh and Euphonik said that their case had been dismissed by prosecutors and declared null and void.
“We are pleased to state that, after considering all of the evidence collected while investigating the claim made by [the accuser] against us, the Chief Prosecutor has dismissed the allegations on the basis that the allegations are without merit,” the statement read.
“The docket has been marked NOLLE PROSEQUI. As we’ve said before, these are false allegations and we are deeply saddened that GBV, a serious crisis in South Africa, was weaponised in this manner.”
“A huge thank you to all of our family, friends, supporters and to our legal team.”
— DJ Fresh (Big Dawg) (@DJFreshSA) February 15, 2021
PAIR SACKED BY PRIMEDIA
Primedia Broadcasting said on Wednesday 10 February that they would terminate contracts with DJ Fresh and Euphonik, following the rape allegations made against the men back in January.
The termination was issued with immediate effect, with Primedia Broadcasting Interim CEO Geraint Crwys-Williams confirming that the decision was “made after careful consideration of the events of the past weeks”.
Crwys-Williams said it was in the “best interest of the company”, and added that the decision “does not reflect a view on the veracity of any allegations against either Euphonik or Fresh”.
“Rather it prioritises Primedia Broadcasting’s business imperatives. We believe that this decision is in the best interest of our company and our various stakeholders”.
Main Image: Daneloo