Recently named Formula One’s most successful driver of all time, Lewis Hamilton has tested positive for coronavirus and he will not be able to race at the Sakhir Grand Prix in Bahrain this coming weekend.
Formula One’s governing body FIA are the one that made the announcement recently. “In accordance with Covid-19 protocols and public health authority guidelines in Bahrain he (Hamilton) is now isolating,” said FIA in a statement. “The procedures set out by the FIA and Formula 1 will ensure no wider impact on this weekend’s event.”
Hamilton’s Mercedes team also took to Twitter and posted their statemen, “He woke up on Monday morning with mild symptoms and was informed at the same time that a contact prior to arrival in Bahrain had subsequently tested positive,” – they said.
“Lewis therefore took a further test and returned a positive result. This has since been confirmed by a retest. Lewis is now isolating in accordance with COVID-19 protocols and public health authority guidelines in Bahrain. Apart from mild symptoms, he is otherwise fit and well, and the entire team sends him its very best wishes for a swift recovery.”
The Mercedes team also mentioned that Hamilton had been tested three times last week and returned a negative result each time as part of the sport’s strict anti-virus protocols, the last of which was on Sunday afternoon at the Bahrain circuit.
BREAKING: Lewis Hamilton will miss this weekend's Sakhir Grand Prix in Bahrain after a positive test for Covid-19 pic.twitter.com/c0XCfyDmWZ
— Formula 1 (@F1) December 1, 2020
Main Image: Planet F1